This is a true-blue risotto recipe and it’s every bit as creamy and decadent as you would expect. That does mean that this isn’t a quick meal, but most definitely worth the extra time and effort!
Wild Mushroom & Asparagus Risotto
Recipe courtesy of Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook
6 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup dried wild mushrooms
1/2 cup hot water
3 tbs grapeseed oil
1/4 cup Earth Balance
3/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh mushrooms
(such as porcini, chanterelles, crimini, portobello)
1 1/2 cups asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/3 cup shallots, finely chopped
1 cup Arborio rice, uncooked
1/3 cup white wine
1/2 cup Vegan Parmesan
1 tsp white truffle oil (optional)
1 tsp chopped chives, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, add the vegetable broth, cover and keep warm over low heat
- Place hot water in a medium size bowl and add the dried mushrooms. Allow to sit for about 20 min, or until the mushrooms are soft. Then add the mushrooms and the hot water to the vegetable broth
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tbs grapeseed oil and 1 tbs Earth Balance
- Add the fresh mushrooms and asparagus and saute until lightly browned, about 10 min. Season with salt and pepper to taste, remove from heat and transfer to a medium size bowl
- Using the same large saucepan, heat the remaining grapeseed oil over medium heat and add the onions and shallots, stirring until soft, about 5 min.
- Add the garlic and remaining Earth Balance and saute for 1 min.
- Add the rice and stir until well combined
- Add the wine and stir until the wine is absorbed
- Add 1 cup of the warm broth and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until nearly absorbed. Continue adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently and letting each additional scoop of broth be absorbed before adding more Continue adding broth until rice is tender and creamy, about 30 to 40 min.
- Stir in the sauteed mushrooms, asparagus and parmesan and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish each serving with a sprinkle of chives and the white truffle oil (if using)
Yield: Serves 4-6