Sorry about the unannounced hiatus. Things got busy, yadda yadda, etc.
Anywho, I’m back and I come bearing many yummy new recipes. I got a new cookbook for Christmas, Appetite for Reduction, and I’ve been quietly pounding away at it over the past few weeks. AFR is from the fabulous Isa Chandra Moskowitz, author of the fantastic PPK blog and many wildly popular vegan cookbooks, including the holy grail: Veganomicon.
As you can probably deduce from the title, AFR focuses on lean, healthy and quick vegan cooking. I’ve made several drool-worthy things from it so far, including this salad. The original recipe calls for 4 cups of bean sprouts. However, I am not a fan of sprouts, as I think they taste of dirt. I replaced them with sliced mushrooms. Mushrooms lend a similarly “earthy” flavor sans hint of funky potting soil. Feel free to do it your own way.
Vegan Pad Thai Salad
Recipe courtesy of Appetite for Reduction
8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
4 cups sliced mushrooms (or bean sprouts, if you insist)
1 small red onion, sliced thinly
1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
1 recipe Peanut-Lime Dragon Dressing (recipe below)
1/4 cup roasted peanuts
1/2 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro
Lime wedges as garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, toss lettuce, mushrooms, red onion and carrot
- Add dressing and toss to coat
- Distribute salad among four bowls, garnish with roasted peanuts and cilantro and serve with lime wedges
*Note: The next time I make this I will definitely replace half the peanuts with 2 tbs of natural peanut butter (in the first step, below). This dressing is awesome, but it doesn’t have anything in it to make it adhere to the salad. I think peanut butter would accomplish that quite nicely without adding too much extra calories and fat.
- Pulse 2 tbs of the peanuts (peanut butter!) and the shallot in a food processor, just to chop everything up well
- Add the lime juice, water, agave, shoyu and sriracha and blend until very smooth
- Add remaining 2 tbs of peanuts and pulse for a bit, just to chop them up small
Yield: Serves 4