I very rarely step outside the basic tomato sauce box when it comes to pasta but this recipe’s got me thinking I should try it a little more often. I used Two Buck Chuck Cabernet from Trader Joe’s to make this red wine sauce and it was super tasty and kind of delightfully different.
You can serve this over nearly any kind of pasta or rice. I used brown rice pasta and it was delish!
Vegan Chicken Cacciatore
Recipe courtesy of Health.com
2 tsp olive oil
4 pieces Gardein Chick’n Scallopini
3/4 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 small yellow or green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 1/2 cups tomato basil pasta sauce
2 tbs chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat
- Add Chick’n and sprinkle 1/2 tsp salt and pepper over chick’n
- Cook about 2 min. per side, transfer to a plate and set aside
- Combine bell pepper and mushrooms in the skillet
- Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt, cook 4 min., stirring occasionally
- Add wine, cook 2 min.
- Stir in tomato sauce, heat through
- Return Chick’n to skillet, reduce heat to simmer, turning once about 4 min.
- Top with parsley and serve
Yield: Serves 4