Pizza Wednesday has always sort of been one of my “easy” weeknight dinners – which means I’ve never made a crust from scratch. When you’re on vacation though, there’s actually time to do that kind of crazy stuff, so here she is, my first ever homemade crust!
Ok, so I still kind of cheated a little bit on the whole “homemade” thing, because yes, this is a breadmaker (Breadman® to be exact) recipe. It still took forever and had to be rolled out though, so I think it counts!
The good news is, this was really good and super filling. I’m thinkin’ it could easily be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge for a day or two before use, which means we’ll probably be seeing it around my house again here and there.
Breadmaker Whole Wheat Vegan Pizza Crust
Recipe courtesy of Breadman®
1 cup water, 80°F/27°C
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1 tsp active dry yeast
- Add ingredients to breadmaker one at a time, in order (from top to bottom of ingredients list), being careful not to expose the yeast to any moisture
- Select dough cycle and press start
- When finished, place dough on a lightly floured surface
- For thin crust, divide dough in half and press onto a 12 in. pizza pan, raising edges. For thick crust, do not divide dough
- Prick rolled out dough generously with a fork and bake at 425°F/218°C for 10 to 12 min. or until edges of crust begin to turn a light golden brown
- Remove, add sauce, cheese and toppings and return to oven to bake an additional 15 to 20 min.
Yield: Two 12-in thin crusts or one 12-in. thick crust