Posted in Appetizers, Recipes, Salads, Sauces/Condiments, Sides, Skinny Bitch | No Comments »
This salad is a take on your typical Italian house. I’d venture to say that the addition of avocado and cucumbers coupled with turning the volume way up on garlic gives this version an edge over the standard fare.
The next time I make this, I think I’ll sub out the green onion for red and will use half as much dressing, but it’s good as-is too.
Vegan Italian House Salad
Recipe courtesy of Skinny Bitch Ultimate Everyday Cookbook
2 tbs red wine vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
1 1/2 tsp vegan Parmesan cheese
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Pinch of salt and pepper, to taste
1 (9 oz) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained, leaves or spikes removed
3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced (peeled,regular cucumbers work too)
1 large avocado, cut into slices or chunks
3 green onions, minced
1/2 cup garlic croutons, crushed
Note: I mentioned it before, but it’s worth saying again, I would strongly advise making 1/2 the dressing this calls for.
- In a medium saucepan, prepare the dressing by combining the vinegar, oil, cheese, mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Cut the artichoke hearts into quarters
- In a large bowl, add the lettuce, cucumbers, artichokes and avocado
- Sprinkle with green onion and then toss with dressing
- Plate and sprinkle each serving with crouton crumbs
Yield: Serves 3-4
Posted in Dairy Alternatives, Quick & Easy, Recipes, Sauces/Condiments, Skinny Bitch | No Comments »
Yet again, I apologize for the crummy picture. For this particular recipe though, the picture is sort of beside the point. Why’s that? Because the star of today’s show is a condiment!
I’m not even a fan of traditional sour cream. Until now, I’ve only ever tolerated it as an invisible ingredient in certain recipes. For some reason though, the idea of adding lime to that flavor profile was intriguing to me – and my instinct was spot on!
This is such a yummy addition to a baked potato it isn’t even funny. I also think it would be great on tacos/nachos or plopped on top of tortilla or black bean soup (as the original recipe suggested).
Vegan Lime Cream
Recipe Courtesy of Skinny Bitch, Ultimate Everyday Cookbook
1/2 cup vegan sour cream
2 tbs almond milk*
2 tbs lime juice
1/4 tsp salt
Pepper, to taste
1 tsp chopped fresh cilantro
*I’m not entirely sure this is necessary, as it thinned the cream out considerably in addition to the lime juice. I think next time I’d try it without.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the sour cream, milk and lime juice. Blend until thoroughly mixed and creamy
- Add the salt, pepper and cilantro and blend until well combined
- Use immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container
Yield: 3/4 cup