This recipe is yet another star turn from celebrity vegan chef, Chloe Coscarelli. Her version is a little fancier, as she serves hers up as sliders with a spicy mango sauce.
- Mangos gross me out.
- I do not have the patience for sliders.
Fortunately, these were still super good in simpler/bigger form. Best of all, they’re very easy to put together and for some reason, I find that people are really impressed by them! I’m not sure why that it is, but I’ll take it!
Vegan Black Bean Burgers
Recipe courtesy of ChefChloe.com
6-8 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
1/4 cup olive oil
1 yellow onion, small dice
1 14 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 small carrot, finely diced or shredded (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 tbs chili powder
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup water
1-2 roma tomatoes, chopped
lime wedges, as garnish
- In a large skillet, saute onions in 2 tbs of olive oil over medium heat until tender and slightly carmelized, about 20 min.
- In a large bowl, use a large spoon or your hands to mash together beans, carrots, cornmeal, breadcrumbs, chili powder, salt, cilantro, 1/4 cup water and carmelized onions. If mixture is too dry to hold together, add more water 1 tbs at a time
- Using your hands, form burger patties that match the size of your buns
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 2 tbs olive oil over medium/high heat and fry patties. Let each patty get browned and slightly crisp on each side before flipping (about 3 min on each side). Add more olive oil to the skillet as you continue to fry more patties
- Top each burger with guacamole and chopped tomatoes. Garnish with lime wedge and serve