Obviously, I’m not the first vegan on the planet who has used Daiya cheddar in an attempt to recreate an old pre-vegan fave, the mighty grilled cheese sandwich. I’ve seen this particular combo mentioned I don’t know how many times on vegan blogs, twitter feeds, etc. Even though I’m a huge fan of Daiya, for some reason, I had serious doubts about how good this would really be. I’m happy to say, I was dead wrong.
This. is. good. SO good!
This also marks the first time I’ve had a grilled cheese with anything other than cheese on it, and I’ve totally been missing out. I’m tellin’ you, tomatoes on grilled cheese is like the way tomatoes are meant to taste and never do.
Clearly, I thoroughly enjoyed this meal, as did my very skeptical non-vegan husband. There will be more of these in my house over the course of the next several months. Fo sho.
Vegan Grilled Cheese
Recipe courtesy of VegNews
- Over medium-high heat, heat a cast iron or non-stick griddle
- Add 1 tsp butter and lay tomato and onion on the surface to cook
- Spread remaining butter evenly on outer sides of the bread
- Lay the slices of bread side-by-side on the griddle buttered side down and top each slice with 1/4 cup cheese
- Lay the tomato and onion slices on the open face of one piece of bread. Once cheese begins to melt, combine two sides and cook until both sides are lightly browned
- Cut each sandwich in half and serve immediately
Yield: Serves 2