Posted in Meat Substitutes, Pasta, Quick & Easy, Recipes | No Comments »
I’m on a lemon kick this week!
I’m also still on the Pinterest train. Finding yummy looking recipes to veganize has turned out to be kind of a fun little project on that site. Anyway, we had this for dinner last night and it was quite good. Also quick and easy. Two thumbs up on both counts!
Vegan Chick’n & Lemon Orzo
Recipe inspired by Cookinghealthyforme.com
2-3 Gardein Chick’n Scallopini pieces
1 1/2 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
1/2 cup vegan sour cream
1/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
zest of one half lemon
1/2 pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
5-8 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
2-3 lemon wedges
- Bring water for orzo to a boil and cook according to package directions
- Meanwhile, in a medium size bowl, mix together sour cream, Parmesan, garlic, olive oil, salt and lemon zest. Set aside
- Cook Gardein Chick’n breasts according to package directions while pasta finishes cooking
- When orzo is finished, drain and put back in the same pot it was cooked in. Add sour cream mixture, tomatoes and basil and mix to combine
- Place each piece of Chick’n over a bed of pasta, squeeze a lemon wedge over the entire dish and serve
Yield: Serves 2-3
Posted in Entrees, Kid-Friendly, Meat Substitutes, Quick & Easy, Recipes, Tacos | No Comments »
Here’s the first of the recipes featuring Match that I promised would follow yesterday’s post. These wraps are great for quick, weeknight dinners. Extra points if it’s hot outside.
Avocado “Chicken” Wraps
Recipe Inspired by Turbokick.com
1/2 lb Match Chicken
1 tbs olive oil
1 1/2 – 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and mashed
1/8 cup red onion, chopped
1/8 tsp. garlic salt
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 Roma tomato, diced
5-6 whole wheat tortillas
1 can black beans
Fresh lime wedges (optional)
Hot sauce (optional)
- Wrap stacked tortillas in foil and warm in toaster oven
- Combine avocado, onion, garlic salt and cilantro
- Warm beans in a small saucepan over low heat. Let simmer as you cook chicken
- In large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add Match chicken (as a block); cook until well browned, about 4 minutes per side
- Transfer chicken to cutting board and cut in half. Slice each half into 1/4 in. strips
- Spread avocado mixture over tortillas. Add 2 -3 strips of chicken to each and top with diced tomato and beans
- Squeeze lime wedge over each and/or add hot sauce (if desired). Roll up and serve
Yield: Serves 2
Posted in Entrees, Pasta, Quick & Easy, Recipes | No Comments »
I found this recipe a while back on another blog I frequent. The author described it as creamy and thick to the point of rivaling a bona fide cream sauce. ‘Nuff said.
Even better, this can be ready in about 15 minutes from start to finish. Fantastic on a busy/lazy weeknight. Enjoy!
Creamy Avocado Linguine
Recipe Courtesy of Oh She Glows
1 medium sized ripe Avocado, pitted
1/2 lemon, juiced + lemon zest to garnish
2-3 garlic cloves, to taste
1/2 tsp kosher salt, to taste
~1/4 cup Fresh Basil (optional)
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 servings/6 oz. whole wheat linguine (or whatever you like)
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta Al Dente according to package directions
- Meanwhile, place garlic, lemon juice and olive oil in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add the avocado, basil (if using) and salt. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Drain and rinse pasta and return to pot or a large serving bowl. Pour on sauce and toss to fully combine.
- Garnish with lemon zest and pepper. Serve immediately.
Note: This dish does not reheat well due to the avocado in the sauce. That, my friend, is a green light to eat it all in one sitting. You can do it.
Yield: 2 Servings