Posted in Entrees, Meat Substitutes, Quick & Easy, Recipes | 2 Comments »
I very rarely step outside the basic tomato sauce box when it comes to pasta but this recipe’s got me thinking I should try it a little more often. I used Two Buck Chuck Cabernet from Trader Joe’s to make this red wine sauce and it was super tasty and kind of delightfully different.
You can serve this over nearly any kind of pasta or rice. I used brown rice pasta and it was delish!
Vegan Chicken Cacciatore
Recipe courtesy of Health.com
2 tsp olive oil
4 pieces Gardein Chick’n Scallopini
3/4 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 small yellow or green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 1/2 cups tomato basil pasta sauce
2 tbs chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat
- Add Chick’n and sprinkle 1/2 tsp salt and pepper over chick’n
- Cook about 2 min. per side, transfer to a plate and set aside
- Combine bell pepper and mushrooms in the skillet
- Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt, cook 4 min., stirring occasionally
- Add wine, cook 2 min.
- Stir in tomato sauce, heat through
- Return Chick’n to skillet, reduce heat to simmer, turning once about 4 min.
- Top with parsley and serve
Yield: Serves 4
Posted in Meat Substitutes, Pasta, Quick & Easy, Recipes | No Comments »
I’m on a lemon kick this week!
I’m also still on the Pinterest train. Finding yummy looking recipes to veganize has turned out to be kind of a fun little project on that site. Anyway, we had this for dinner last night and it was quite good. Also quick and easy. Two thumbs up on both counts!
Vegan Chick’n & Lemon Orzo
Recipe inspired by Cookinghealthyforme.com
2-3 Gardein Chick’n Scallopini pieces
1 1/2 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
1/2 cup vegan sour cream
1/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
zest of one half lemon
1/2 pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
5-8 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
2-3 lemon wedges
- Bring water for orzo to a boil and cook according to package directions
- Meanwhile, in a medium size bowl, mix together sour cream, Parmesan, garlic, olive oil, salt and lemon zest. Set aside
- Cook Gardein Chick’n breasts according to package directions while pasta finishes cooking
- When orzo is finished, drain and put back in the same pot it was cooked in. Add sour cream mixture, tomatoes and basil and mix to combine
- Place each piece of Chick’n over a bed of pasta, squeeze a lemon wedge over the entire dish and serve
Yield: Serves 2-3
Posted in Entrees, Meat Substitutes, Recipes | 2 Comments »
Don’t let the name fool you. This is an “easy” version of paella – which is normally somewhat of an intimidating recipe. Done this way though, you can have a dish that’s just as tasty with quite a bit less effort. Definitely do-able on a weeknight.
Vegan Chicken & Chorizo Paella
Recipe inspired by Allyou
2 bags Gardein Chick’n Scallopini
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
8-10 oz. Soy Chorizo*,crumbled
1 1/2 cups long-grain brown rice
3 1/2 cups no-chicken broth
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen peas
Salt, to taste
*There is a great soy Chorizo sausage at Trader Joe’s. Consequently, it comes in a 12 oz package. I know I said 8-10 oz in the ingredients list, but feel free to throw the whole damn thing in there if you want.
- Combine broth and tomatoes (with juice) in a medium saucepan
- Bring to a boil and stir in rice. Bring back to a boil and then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45-50 min.
- Meanwhile add a small amount of oil to a skillet and cook Chorizo over medium-high heat for about 2 min. Set aside
- Heat a bit more oil in a large rimmed skillet on medium-high heat. Add 4 Gardein chick’n breasts. Cook 2-3 min. on each side and then transfer to a plate or cutting board. Repeat with remaining Gardein chick’n
- When chick’n has cooled enough to handle, cut into bite-size pieces
- Add another small amount of oil to the skillet if there isn’t enough leftover from the chick’n and add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 min.
- Add chorizo to onion mixture and cook another 2 min.
- Stir in rice and tomato mixture and chicken pieces. Salt, to taste
- Remove from heat and stir in frozen peas. Cover and let stand until peas are heated through, about 5 min.
Yield: Serves 6