This is the (main) vegetable I served with my Thanksgiving meal last week. If you are not a green bean hater, it is impossible for you not to love these.
I’ve made these several times and I have discovered that it is necessary to use the most giant skillet you own (I use a wok) and a pair of tongs of some kind to get them just right. I don’t know why that is. I don’t make the rules.
Vegan “Buttery” Green Beans with Toasted Almonds
Recipe courtesy of Skinny Bitch Ultimate Everyday Cookbook
1 lb fresh green beans
2 tbs Earth Balance
1 shallot, minced
1 clove of garlic, minced
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted*
*If you’re toasting these yourself, spread them evenly on a tray and toast them in a toaster oven about 5 or 6 min. Watch carefully though because they go from perfectly toasted to burnt as hell in about 5 seconds.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat
- Add the green beans and let cook until barely tender, 3 to 5 min.
- Place Earth Balance in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add shallot and garlic and saute for 2 min.
- Drain the green beans and add to the skillet. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and cook, turning frequently with tongs, 6 to 8 min. or until beans are cooked through
- Add the almonds and stir to combine
Yield: Serves 4