Last week I spent some happy time drooling over this collection of cooked apple recipes from Mark Bittman in the New York Times Magazine and promptly decided it was time for a trip to Eckert’s to pick some apples!
This first recipe is the literal fruit of that labor. I plan to try out several more of these over the next few weeks, so stay tuned!
Baked Apples with Praline
Recipe courtesy of New York Times Magazine
4 tbs Earth Balance
1 cup apple juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Halve and core apples
- Put cut side down in a greased 9 x 13 in. pan
- Drizzle with 1 tbs melted butter and apple juice and bake for 20 min.
- Meanwhile, cook brown sugar, chopped pecans and remaining butter over low heat, stirring, until butter melts; add vanilla
- After 20 min. turn the apples, baste and top with praline mixture; bake for another 20 min.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately (with coconut ice cream, if that’s how you roll)
Yield: Serves 4-8