Always a crowd pleaser, this recipe is one of my faves for parties, holidays, trivia nights, etc. It comes from Skinny Bitch in the Kitch, the absolute most hilarious cookbook you’ll ever read, which also happens to be packed with a wide variety of tasty vegan stuff!
The heat of these nuts is perfectly complemented by the sweetness. If you’re not big on spice though, keep your distance. They do have a kick!
In the book, the bitches leave specific instructions not to eat the entire batch in one sitting. They ain’t kiddin’. I’ll take it one step further and challenge you to eat just one. I am confident you will not succeed.
Vegan Spicy Mixed Nuts
Recipe Courtesy of Skinny Bitch in the Kitch
- Preheat oven to 250° F
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg replacer and water until foamy. Add the nuts and toss to coat. Transfer the nuts to a strainer and let drain for at least 2 minutes
- Meanwhile, wipe out the bowl and combine the sugar, salt and cayenne. Add the nuts, tossing to coat. Spread the nuts in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes
- Stir with a spatula and spread the nuts out again. Reduce the oven to 200°F and bake another 30 minutes, or until dry
- The nuts will crisp as they cool to room temperature
- Thoroughly cooled, they can be stored for up to one week in an airtight container
Note:I use a premium mixed nuts mix from Whole Foods when I make this. It’s almonds, cashews, pecans, brazil nuts and hazelnuts. It makes for a really pretty mix…but we always find ourselves picking out the cashews and pecans. The next time I make this, I may just buy 1/2 lb of each of those and go all in. Use whatever you like best!