I think this makes the third or fourth time I’ve featured a recipe for tacos on this blog. Who can blame me though, right? Tacos are just so easy (not to mention versatile, fast and scrumptious)! They’re hard to resist on a weekday night.
This particular recipe comes from my fave cookbook, Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook and what I love, love, love about it is that, unlike our usual route, it doesn’t feature any kind of faux meat. Now, don’t get me wrong, I am not a faux hater – quite the opposite – but I do like to serve it in moderation, so it’s nice to see a recipe that calls for something different and homemade as a base. What that means though is that these aren’t as quick and easy to put together as some of the other taco recipes I’ve featured. They’re still comparatively simple for a dinner though, so don’t let that discourage you!
4 cups water
1 cup dried green lentils
2 tbs diced white onion
2 tbs olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbs tomato paste
1/2 cup diced cherry tomatoes
2 tbs diced red onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp diced jalapeno pepper
3 tsp lime juice
1 tbs finely chopped fresh cilantro
4-6 corn tortillas, fresh
1 sliced avocado
1/2 cup shredded lettuce
*Super important note: When I make these again, I will definitely add a packet of taco seasoning to the lentil mixture. It was good, but it could have really used a smidge more flavor/spice. I think it would make a big difference.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil over high heat. Add the lentils and white onion. Return to a boil and then reduce heat, cover and simmer until soft, 30 to 40 min.
- Drain any remaining water and place half the lentils in a food processor or blender. Process while drizzling 1 tbs of the oil into the mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the tomato paste and puree until combined. Put the lentil mixture in a medium bowl and stir in remaining lentils
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together the cherry tomatoes, red onion, garlic, jalapeno, lime juice, cilantro and remaining oil for salsa. Add salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a small frying pan over low heat and quickly warm the tortillas on each side
- Spread the lentil mixture on each tortilla and top with sliced avocado, salsa and lettuce
Yield: Serves 2-3