Don’t let the name fool you. This is an “easy” version of paella – which is normally somewhat of an intimidating recipe. Done this way though, you can have a dish that’s just as tasty with quite a bit less effort. Definitely do-able on a weeknight.
Vegan Chicken & Chorizo Paella
Recipe inspired by Allyou
2 bags Gardein Chick’n Scallopini
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
8-10 oz. Soy Chorizo*,crumbled
1 1/2 cups long-grain brown rice
3 1/2 cups no-chicken broth
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen peas
Salt, to taste
*There is a great soy Chorizo sausage at Trader Joe’s. Consequently, it comes in a 12 oz package. I know I said 8-10 oz in the ingredients list, but feel free to throw the whole damn thing in there if you want.
- Combine broth and tomatoes (with juice) in a medium saucepan
- Bring to a boil and stir in rice. Bring back to a boil and then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45-50 min.
- Meanwhile add a small amount of oil to a skillet and cook Chorizo over medium-high heat for about 2 min. Set aside
- Heat a bit more oil in a large rimmed skillet on medium-high heat. Add 4 Gardein chick’n breasts. Cook 2-3 min. on each side and then transfer to a plate or cutting board. Repeat with remaining Gardein chick’n
- When chick’n has cooled enough to handle, cut into bite-size pieces
- Add another small amount of oil to the skillet if there isn’t enough leftover from the chick’n and add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 min.
- Add chorizo to onion mixture and cook another 2 min.
- Stir in rice and tomato mixture and chicken pieces. Salt, to taste
- Remove from heat and stir in frozen peas. Cover and let stand until peas are heated through, about 5 min.
Yield: Serves 6