Posted in Meat Substitutes, Pasta, Quick & Easy, Recipes | No Comments »
I’m on a lemon kick this week!
I’m also still on the Pinterest train. Finding yummy looking recipes to veganize has turned out to be kind of a fun little project on that site. Anyway, we had this for dinner last night and it was quite good. Also quick and easy. Two thumbs up on both counts!
Vegan Chick’n & Lemon Orzo
Recipe inspired by Cookinghealthyforme.com
2-3 Gardein Chick’n Scallopini pieces
1 1/2 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
1/2 cup vegan sour cream
1/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
zest of one half lemon
1/2 pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
5-8 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
2-3 lemon wedges
- Bring water for orzo to a boil and cook according to package directions
- Meanwhile, in a medium size bowl, mix together sour cream, Parmesan, garlic, olive oil, salt and lemon zest. Set aside
- Cook Gardein Chick’n breasts according to package directions while pasta finishes cooking
- When orzo is finished, drain and put back in the same pot it was cooked in. Add sour cream mixture, tomatoes and basil and mix to combine
- Place each piece of Chick’n over a bed of pasta, squeeze a lemon wedge over the entire dish and serve
Yield: Serves 2-3
Posted in Entrees, Pasta, Recipes | No Comments »
You know what I just noticed? A large percentage of the recipes I’ve posted so far have been pasta dishes. I guess the secret is out: I’m a noodle-holic. I have no plans for rehab.
Anyway, I picked this one up a few weeks ago on one of the blogs at Health.com. I’m a complete fool for all things lemon, so I was pretty excited to try it. I found myself wishing that this had more of a “sauce” on it, but it was still very good – and if you’re actually looking for something light, it’s perfect. Great dinner on a cool spring evening.
Asparagus & Lemon Linguine
Recipe courtesy of Health.com
8 oz. whole wheat linguine
2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
Juice of 2 large lemons (1/2 cup)
1 bunch asparagus, sliced
1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
Pinch of salt and pepper
1/2 cup vegan Parmesan
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Remove noodles from water with a slotted spoon, reserving boiling water. Blanch asparagus in water for 30 seconds, until bright green. Drain and reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and saute for 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Add pasta, sun-dried tomatoes and asparagus and toss everything together. Pour in lemon juice along with additional cooking water if the dish seems too dry. Season with salt and pepper
- Add Parmesan and serve.
Yield: Serves 4