I’ve found a way to make avocados unhealthy, you guys – and it’s good in a very bad way.
Obviously, these are to be deployed as an occasional treat only, but if you’re in the mood for seriously delicious comfort food, these are an excellent choice. The good news is, they’re very filling, so it would be really hard to do any hard-core diet damage here.
Regardless, I think it’s best to just forget about fat and calories if you make these and enjoy them for the perfect balance of rich, crunchy/creamy goodness that they are!
Recipe courtesy of Sunset
- Preheat oven to 200°F. In a medium saucepan, heat 1 1/2 in. oil on medium high
- Meanwhile, mix flour with 1/4 tsp salt in a shallow plate. Put Ener-G eggs and panko in separate shallow plates
- Dip avocado in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg substitute, then panko to coat. Set on 2 plates in a single layer
- Fry a quarter of avocado slices at a time until deep golden, 30 to 60 seconds
- Transfer slices to a plate lined with paper towels. Keep warm in oven while cooking remaining avocados
- Sprinkle liberally with kosher salt and serve
Yield: Serves 4