I guess that explains why I tried something a little different this year and went the “smashed” route. This also marks the first time I’ve ever used the broiler in my oven and I’ve gotta say, I’m kind of impressed.
Anyway, as I mentioned yesterday, these were part of my Thanksgiving menu this year and they were quite yummy. I do think they could have used just a few more minutes boiling and/or should have been slightly smaller potatoes to begin with, but they were definitely a tasty and complementary addition to the meal.
Vegan Garlic Smashed Potatoes
Recipe inspired by Bon Appetit
- Generously butter a glass pie dish
- Cook potatoes and garlic in medium pot of boiling salted water until potatoes are tender, about 15 min. Drain, let stand 5 min. Discard garlic
- Arrange potatoes close together in prepared dish
- Using wooden spoon, smash potatoes coarsely until they split open
- Drizzle with oil, dot with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Preheat broiler and broil potatoes until crisp and golden, watching closely to avoid burning, 8-10 min.
- Top with dollops of sour cream, sprinkle with chives and serve
Yield: Serves 6